Friday, March 4, 2011

Diaper Tote & Changing Pad

I got the Diaper Tote and Changing Pad finished using the Laminated Cottons of Central Park by Kate Spain.  This was much easier to work with than I expected.  I used a walking foot and that kept it from slipping.  What I found to be most useful was I used this 1/8" double stick binding/seam tape that was perfect for holding my binding in place until I sewed it.

I followed the same directions that I used when I made the sample Tote in Bliss by Bonnie & Camille.

I have a Diaper Bag to add to this set and then I'm sending it to Australia for my little sister's baby girl that is due in July!

  Diaper Tote open - Changing Pad in background


Diaper Pad folded in Tote. There is room for wipes and 2 diapers.


On the handle I added a velcro closure so the tote and can be attached to anything.


Back of Tote has a pocket


Here is a Tutorial.  I'll post pictures of each step soon!

Diaper Tote and Changing Pad Tutorial

Diaper Wipe Tote dimensions:  5.5" x 9.5" x 1.75"
Diaper Pad:  17" x 19"
Fabric:  Central Park Laminated Cottons by Kate Spain for Moda Fabrics

Diaper Wipe Tote Fabric Requirements:
  2 Coordinating Fat Quarters for Body and Lining
1/3 yard:  Body Fabric for Side & Back Pocket
1/8 yard:  Lining Fabric
Velcro for flap closure
Velcro for handle (optional)
1" Belting for Handle

CUTTING:
Fat Quarter for Body:  
Front: 6" x 10"
Back:  6" x 15"

Fat Quarter for Lining:
Front:  6" x 10"
Back:  6" x 15"

 Body Fabric:
Side:  2 1/4" x WOF
Back Pocket:  6" x 13.5"

Lining Fabric:
Handle:  2" x your desired handle length
Binding:  2 1/2" x WOF
Pocket Binding:  2 1/2" x 6"

1.  Sew Lining Side to Lining Front - clip corners.  Repeat with Body Fabric

2.  Line up Back starting with the bottom since it is longer than the front.  Pin in place.  Sew Lining Back piece to front/side piece. 

3.  Fold Back Pocket in half.  Bind pocket top edge.

4.  Sew Sides of Back Pocket to Right side of Body Back, lining bottom raw edges.

5.  Sew Body Back to Front/Side piece.  You now have a Lining bag and an Outside bag.

6.  This next part is your choice:  You can put right sides of Lining and Outside together and then turn.  You can tack the bottom corners of the Lining and Outside together and then turn.  I tacked the bottome corners and then turned it so the lining is correctly placed into the Outside Body Piece.

7.  Fold 2" of Handle Fabric in half and iron.  Open up and fold side to middle fold (it ends up only being a 1/4 fold)  - iron.  Do it again for the other side.

8.  Handle Fabric is now 1" wide.  Sew to the 1" canvas belting.

9.  Sew handle to sides of Bag

10.  I chose to make a neat little curve for fold over part of my bag.  The Bliss bag I did a Left to Right sloping curve.  This bag I did a half mood curve. 

11.  Figure out where you want your velcro fastener and sew to folding flap and to the body front.

12.  Bind raw edges of Bag - taking time to be careful as you turn the corners. 

13.  Turn Handles up and sew in place.

Changing Pad Tutorial
Dimensions:  17" x 19"

Fabric Requirements:  Coordinating Fat Quarters
Binding:  2 1/2" x WOF
Quilt Batting:  17" x 19"

Cutting:
Cut each Fat Quarter to 17" x 19"

1.  Layer Fat Quarter, Quilt Batting, Fat Quarter

2.  Baste edges to hold in place

3.  Bind Edges


These turned out pretty darn neat.  The biggest hurdle I had was the binding.  Trying to bind the curves was really hard.  I think I liked the way I did the Bliss Bag where it sloped Left to Right better than doing the half moon curve. I also like the way it looks better and I think that slope will hide some binding imperfections.  With the half moon curve it is very easy to have your curves not match up just right and it is obvious since it is supposed to be symetrical.

I'll get some pictures posted of each step!

Thanks for looking and let me know if you have any questions!






No comments:

Post a Comment