Friday, April 1, 2011

Frolic Panel Quilt

 
I love panels. They are great ways to make a quick project or gift. But every time I pull out the panel and say OK – I am going to make a project with this panel…the little bit of creativity I do have seems to escape me and I end up just looking at the panel. And I mean just looking at it – completely lost on what to do next.

I end up going through magazines, websites, and blogs to try and find out WHAT to do with the panel. And at the end of the day, I’ve spent all my sewing time looking for what to make and don’t even get a chance to make it!

In the latest 2011 Quilt Almanac, I found a Trapunto Quilt pattern that I thought would work great with a panel. I made some changes and love how it came out!



Frolic Panel Quilt
Finished Size: 47” x 57”

Fabric Requirements: I used Frolic by Sandy Gervais
• 1 Frolic Panel
• 1 ¼ yard Solid Brown
• 2/3 yard Green Leaves
• ¾ yard Stripe
• 53” x 63” piece of Batting
• 1 ½ yard Backing Piece
• 7/8 yard Pieced Backing Border
Cutting Directions: I “cut as I go”. This way I can get accurate borders and adjust for variances in my seams.
• Fussy Cut Panel to 23” x 35”
• Fussy Cut 4 Flowers to 5 ½ x 5 ½” keeping dots on the borders
• I saved the Cream Dot strips that I cut off the Panel for the Green Leaves Square Borders
• Solid Brown: 2 - 1 ½” x 35” (1st Border)
    2 - 1 ½” x 25”
• Stripe Fabric: 2 – 3” x 31” (2nd Border)
   2 – 3” x 37”
• Solid Brown: 2 - 2 ½” x 34” (3rd Border)
    2 - 2 ½” x 43”
• Green Leaves: 2 – 5 ½” x 28” (4th Border)
      2 – 5 ½” x 35”
        2 – 4 ½” x 4 ½”
• Solid Brown: 8 - 2 ½” x 5 1/2” (4th Border)
• Solid Brown: 6 - 3 ¾” x WOF (Outside Border)
• Stripe Fabric: 5 – 2 ½” x WOF (Binding)
• Pieced Backing: 42” x 52” (Backing Center)
• 6 – 5 ½” x WOF (Pieced Border)

Iron & Starch your fabrics. This will help your strips keep their shape.


1. Corner Blocks: Sew a ¾” Border to the Green Leaves 4 ½” square. I used the cream polka dot strips I had cut from the panel. Trim to 5 ½” x 5 ½”.


2. 1st Border – Solid Brown: Sew the 1 ½” x 35” Solid Brown strips to the Sides of the Panel. Press. Sew the 1 ½” x 25” Solid Brown strips to the Top and Bottom of the Panel. Press.


3. 2nd Border - Stripe: Sew the 3” x 37” Stripe Fabric to the Sides of the Panel. Press. Sew the 3” x 31” to the Top and Bottom of the Panel. Press.


4. 3rd Border – Solid Brown: Sew the 2 ½” x 43” Solid Brown to the Sides of the Panel. Press. Sew the 2 ½” x 36” strips to the Top and Bottom of the Panel. Press.


5. 4th Border – Pieced Sides: Sew a 2 ½” x 5 ½” Solid Brown piece to the Bottom of a Flower Square. Sew the 5 ½” x 35” Green Leaves piece to the bottom Brown Solid piece. Press. Repeat this same process for the other Side Strip. Keep in mind the placement of these strips – Left Side will have Flower Square at Top, Right Side will be Green Leaves Strip at Top. Sew to Sides of Panel. Press.


6. 4th Border – Pieced Top & Bottom: Sew a 2 ½” x 5 ½” Solid Brown piece to a Green Leaves Square. Sew a Flower Square to the other end of the 2 ½” x 5 ½” Solid Brown piece. Add another 2 ½” x 5 ½” Solid Brown piece to the other side of the Flower Square. Press. Sew the 5 ½” x 28” Green Leaves piece to the bottom Brown Solid piece. Press. Repeat this same process for the other Bottom Strip. Keep in mind the placement of these strips – Top will have Green Leaves square on the Left. Bottom will have the square to the Right. Sew to Top and Bottom. Press.


7. Outside Border – Solid Brown: Take the 6 – 3 ¾” x WOF strips and sew them together making 1 long strip. Measure Quilt Sides & Trim to Side Dimensions. Sew to Sides. Press. Measure Quilt Top & Bottom. Trim to Dimensions. Sew to Top and Bottom. Press.


Quilt Top Dimensions: 47” x 57”

I'll post pictures of the pieced backing soon!

8. Pieced Backing – Main Piece: Take your 1 ½ yards. Trim down to 42” x 52”. Press

9. Pieced Backing – Borders: Sew your 6 – 5 ½” x WOF strips together into 1 long strip. Trim to 4 – 5 ½” x 52” strips. Sew Strips to Sides. Press. Sew strips to Top and Bottom. Press.

Pieced Backing Dimensions: 52” x 62”

10. Layer, Quilt, & Bind using your Favorite Method.


Ta Da! A Quick and Easy Panel Quilt!


Please let me know if you have any Questions!



2 comments:

  1. This is darling! I've had the panel for months, now I'm going to do it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where can I purchase this panel? I have looked and cannot find a seller.

    ReplyDelete